Monday, February 22, 2010

A WET MONDAY

It sure was a dreary day today...Glad I got called to work at the Gallery in Morgantown..that job saves my sanity...today was the second day back this month...

This past weekend my muse directed me to do a little clay work, so I got out the cernit clay and played making hands and feet and arms and legs... I do this occasionally just to keep my skills current...I just love doing the hands..(a la Mo Carlson...thanks Mo....she taught a really simple technique at CFCF the first year Syd and I went)......one can make them as expressive or as thick and old as one wants...I love twisting the feet and toes ...I feel like I'm tickeling them as I make them..I can hear them gigling in my head and I just go further and further twisting and rubbing and turning...hummmmmmmm...guess I should stop that for now...my muse just loves it when I get zoned out with the clay...then I usually will do a head or 2....I can spend the whole afternoon and most of the night out there playing around...maybe have a glass of wine or two...

I just started using the Cernit clay that I got from Marie Segal at our retreat last June....I just love the stuff...it is so easy to condition and when I start manipulating it into figures, hands and feet, legs and arms, it just seems to do what I want it to do with no effort at all. When it is cured, I can antique it and then use a terry cloth towel on it and it rubs out to a soft glow...the light flesh color is what I use...if I can get the photos to post, I put them up as soon as I can. I plan to use them on some dolls that are hanging out in my head just waiting to come to life thru my hands...

I am waiting for my new silver kiln to get here...supposed to arrive on Thursday...I am also a PMC certified artisan and I'm having a workshop the end of April, so I'm working on some silver charms and other pieces of jewelry. I love doing the silver..imagine taking a lump of silver clay and turning it into a beautiful pendant or a pair of earrings or some charms...everyone that has taken the workshops just love the process. Last year I had a stamp made out of a design that I doodled...yes, doodled..it has a number of different sections that I can combine and the results are unusual and one of a kind...I hate doing production work..had enough of that when I was a potter...making dozens of mugs is very boring. I did enjoy the process though...now my granddaughter is in college and has visions of becoming a potter...she will have all the equipment since I still have the kilns and potter's wheel out in the barn..all she has to do is get pappy to set the basement of the barn up for her....that is going to take some coaxing.

We may have some more snow this week, lets hope it's just flurries..everything is getting black and kind of dirty looking out there now, especially along the roads. We still have a lot of snow, one of our front gutters has fallen away due to the ice accumulation...."OH SPRING WHERE ART THOU.".!!!...just think, she should be here in 27 days....

more later...stay tuned for some photos..that is if I can remember how to load them ......

No comments:

Post a Comment