Tuesday, April 27, 2010

AFTER ARTISCAPE...

It is now a week since we came home from ARTISCAPE...

We arrived early as we usually do, registered into the hotel, unpacked a few of our things, and then went downstairs to the restaurant to find that it didn't open until 5 PM. We should have remembered this from last year, but we were optomistically thinking that since there were things buzzing with the retreat, that things would change. Not so....we were lucky that we stopped on the way and had a bite to eat, so that held us until 5.....since we had a class at 6, we ordered salads and talked with a new friend that came in from Denver. We also noted that at the table next to us Pat Osbourne, the teacher that was teaching the class was also ordering her Dinner, so we felt that we would leave when she did...

The class was terrific...Pat was well prepared, had lots of supplies, had a great and explicit handout, and timed each segment down to the minute...I haven't completed my pages yet, but the basic book and box that holds it was completed in class....it ended up a beautiful piece of Art....I will try to complete it in the next week or so and post it on this blog. I have lots of photos from our trip to Italy to put into this book.

After the class, we went to the lounge and met some more friends, talked, had a drink and were in bed before eleven...

The next day I had the morning off and in the afternoon, Syd and I had a class together...it was Collage With Moxie....the teacher was a good one except that she loaded us up with too much information ...I'm guessing that she wanted to inform us of this technique and give us as much information as possible...she also had a handout that was very easy to understand and very informative...she seemed annoyed that myself and a few others took pictures of her demos, but I felt that it was the easiest way to remember things...she seemed very guarded about some aspects of her work and didn't seem to want to give out any secrets, not that she really had to. As I worked with the waxed colors and did some encaustic works on the paper she provided, I thought it was a lot of fun and the results were also unique...the only part that confused me was the fact that we then used the small iron that she provided and did what she called a mono-print onto newsprint....I wish I had brought some acid free watercolor paper to use instead...perhaps 90#....I was looking for the things that I created in this class and for some reason or other, they must have gotten lost in the shuffel...can't find them, so I will have to look some more...maybe someone picked them up by mistake...she then led us into another segment of her presentation and I was totally lost...I have a lot of trouble doing collage, but I tried and after the second one, she complimented me and said I had a breakthru...beats the hell out of me , since I really didn't understand what I did and can't find myself doing very much in the way of collage, but I thought I would try it, and for the most part, I enjoyed the class.....I noticed that some people must have thought they were on overload , because they left the class early mumbling and confused. Myself, I did learn a few new things and that made it worthwhile for me....I love to learn new techniques and want to do it all.

That evening we went to Max and Erma's for dinner...great food...the shuttle took us and picked us up...very convienent. We came back and met up with some friends in the lounge again...it was a relaxing evening.

I will write more about our classes tomorrow...some were great and some were just ok....I am teaching a watercolor class this evening and have to gather all my things...we will be painting some tulips and bleeding hearts from my garden and I'm hoping my students all made their color charts so that we can paint tonight....

.STAY TUNED FOR MORE NOTES FROM THE LILY POND...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Annie, Thank you so very much for blogging about my teaching at Artiscape. I would like to clarify a couple of things. We used one iron for encaustic due to lack of table space.I demoed a monotype over text,(mono prints are more than on print per plate) and I chose to use newsprint because I love to experiment. I did ask for No Video tapping, but that photos were allowed. With that said, I would like to compliment you on your collages, they were wonderful little abstracts. I am certain that you are a great watercolor teacher.

    ReplyDelete